booth in the publishers' room

Heidi Johnson hjohnson at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Wed Feb 25 15:54:04 UTC 2004

Jeff,
Can we do a tutorial and a booth? If we have enough hands available,
maybe we can. Since it's in San Francisco, maybe Australians and
Asians will be better able to participate. It would sure be convenient
for us if we could turn LSA into an annual archive something-or-other...

About projectors: Hans Boas has one and wants to participate, although
he's not likely to have any money. What he does have, in addition to
the projector, is a really nice archive and web-based management system.
So we would just need a screen for our booth.

I would love to do a tutorial on something like Documentation and
Archiving, or Corpus Management. Anything that gets people to do a better
job of organizing their mountains of data is good for archives, and I
think people need a lot of help with this.

Or a session... probably a session is a bunch of talks, while a tutorial
ought to be more hands-on for the participants, don't you think? It would
be nice to make people fill out actual metadata forms right there in front
of us :-). But a session about  archiving, corpus management, and best
practice would be good too. We could present the subgroups from last
summer's EMELD workshop: resource conversion, etc etc.

I would rather do my spiel about documentation and archiving, which refers
to AILLA as an example, than just talk about AILLA by itself. The idea is
to improve corpus building and appeal to their self-interest: proper
citation, easy path to "publishing", lines on their CV...

Do tutorials or sessions cost us anything? Jeff, would you mind finding out
about those possibilities? Also how much time we get and what the expected
structure is (talks or lessons)? Then we can figure out how many people
we'd need to enlist.

Is Helen or an EMELD person on this list? I'm sure they will have wise
thoughts on all of this.

Heidi