FW: booth in the publishers' room

Jeff Good jcgood+ at PITT.EDU
Tue Feb 24 22:49:04 UTC 2004

Heidi,

Thanks a lot for sending out that message! If we have enough groups
participating, that figure seems doable. As for a Berkeley connection with
projectors, etc.--as long as Debbie Anderson is around there, then we
should be all set (provided that they don't need their projector(s) for
some reason associated with the conference--but, if we get the Survey
involved we might be OK.)

While it looks like we have many months to worry about reserving a table,
we have many fewer months if we want to have an organized session. The
deadline for these last year is April 15. Do we maybe want to consider a
session on archiving and best practice?

I'm not affiliated with an archive right now, but I'd be happy to be the
organizer of the proposal information, etc. There have been a number of
similar organized sessions over the years, like last year's "Endangered
Data versus Enduring Practice". That was a symposium.

Maybe we could consider a "tutorial" (not sure what this means, but is one
of their categories) on how to prepare materials with archiving in mind.
People who actually have to do the archiving could present.

If people let me know if there's general interest for this, I'll pester
people for abstracts. We'd need a 500 word abstract from each presenter.
How's this for an initial list of possible presenters:

Someone from OLAC to talk about metadata
Someone from AILLA to talk about how their process works
Someone from the ANLC (maybe focusing on legacy data?)
Someone from DOBES

In principle, I could tell a cautionary tale or two from my experiences
with the Comparative Bantu OnLine Dictionary--which could be useful.

Let me know if there's interest for this.

Jeff