lsa outreach plans

Heidi Johnson hjohnson at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Thu Feb 26 17:24:14 UTC 2004

Jeff,
Thanks for looking this up! I think we should go for it, and do both
a booth and a workshop or tutorial. There doesn't seem to be much
difference between workshop & symposium in their definitions. I guess
it's up to us how we want to organize the time.

Looking at last year's schedule, I found one tutorial:
------------------------------
Tutorial: Acoustic Analysis
Time: 1:00 - 6:30 PM
Organizers: Lisa Lavoie (Harvard U) & Ioana Chitoran (Dartmouth C)
Participants: Sharon Manuel (MIT), Janet Slifka (MIT), Stephanie
Shattuck-Hufnagel (MIT), Lisa Zsiga (Georgetown U), Ian Maddieson
(UC-Berkeley), Joyce McDonough (U Rochester), John Kingston (U MA-Amherst)
-----------------------------

Does anyone know any of these guys, or did anyone go to this, by some
chance? They don't list paper titles, so it was probably not a series
of talks. We could write to one of them to see what they did...

All the rest of the Organized Sessions were Symposiums, a
set of (probably invited) related talks. Let's not do that. My feeling
is that while people may come and listen to talks about archiving, it's
so passive that it doesn't help motivate them to go forth and archive.

> So, it's all about "hands"--and not money.
Hands, we got.

> It's hard to imagine a bunch
> of linguists filling out Metadata forms while we pace up and down the
> seats looking for errors.
Not errors, blank lines! I think we should have yardsticks and rap people
on the knuckles. "Speaker's last names, IF you please, Professor Kaufman."

> what we're talking about is practical advice.
> The sort of thing that, at some point, will be in the School of Best
> Practice or be codified in an OLAC document.
Could we tentatively think in terms of a tutorial/workshop along the
lines of "Best Practice in Language Documentation and Archiving"?  That
Acoustic tutorial was 4.5 hours long, which is enough, surely. And also
not hard for us to fill. There were 5 workgroups last summer. If each
gets 1/2 hour, plus two 15 minute breaks (?), that's 3 hours gone. We'll
want lots of time for Q&A. And I think it would be very good to have at
least a couple of exemplars, like Jeff's Bantu Corpus experience.

And Debbie Anderson wrote:
> FYI: I am thinking about doing a session on writing systems and Unicode.
> Bill Bright suggested the idea and I have already three speakers who have
> agreed to participate. Bill said he'd moderate. I would hope such a
> session -- if approved -- would not conflict with OLAC or other similar
> "best practices" session but would rather be part of a "track," if this is
> possible.
So we must be assertive in making sure they don't schedule us at the same
time as this session. It would be really nice if we could have some cross-
resonances of some kind, say a bit about Unicode and writing systems in the
Resource Creation section?

I'm going to be in Australia for the last 2 weeks in March, but I can help
write abstracts and all that first 2 weeks of April. And I'll definitely
to the PARADISEC people about getting them involved in this.

Let's go for it! Outreach Ho!

Heidi