LSA publisher's booth

Heidi Johnson hjohnson at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Mon Jun 28 15:29:16 UTC 2004

Dear Outreachers,
I got a letter last week from Mary Niehbuhr, the Advertising/Exhibits Manager
for the 2005 meeting in San Francisco, about publisher's booths. Booth space
is available for $600.00 per booth. That includes an identification sign and
booth drapery, whatever that is. A booth is 8' x 10'.

She sent me a booth reservation form, which is due, with payment, no later
than October 4.  There are no instructions regarding how payment is to be
rendered, I'll have to write to her to ask about multiple payers.

What do y'all want to do? I can commit AILLA to $200. (We happen to have a nice fat
slush fund, thanks to the return of some of our NSF indirect costs monies.) Who else
can we ask to contribute?

I think the identification sign should say OLAC, but I will also undertake to elicit some
kind of IMDI & DELAMAN banners or something that can be prominently displayed,
so as to be perfectly inclusive.  But OLAC is our superset, so it makes sense to make
that the major heading, so to speak.

I can also commit AILLA to some proportion of manpower - I'm sure we can
persuade at least a couple of our grad students to help out, and I am happy to have
an excuse to miss talks :-).

Mary's letter says that "booths will be assigned as applications are received." I don't
know how competitive this is, or if it is competitive at all, but I would be happier if we
could get this nailed down by early September. I'm going to be in Mexico for a
couple of weeks right before this deadline - it should definitely be done before I go.

I will write to Mary right now about multiple payers and methods of payment. If
necessary, maybe we could work a fiddle like AILLA pays the whole $600 and
someone else picks up $400 of my travel expenses....

Please think about likely contributors, and perhaps even write to them, if they are
people you know. If not, I'll google them up and write to them myself. Also, we should
now think more concretely about what we want to do with this booth.

Should I go ahead and write to Peter Austin & Peter Wittenburg about it? Peter
Austin intimated that he might have a nifty textbook to sell from the booth, the papers
from the first DELAMAN meeting. I don't know how OLAC-oriented his group is, but
they might be interested in doing something on ELAR's behalf.

Heidi