Boston 2004, tutorial

Jeff Good jcgood at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU
Mon Mar 8 18:28:09 UTC 2004

Hello everyone,

April 15th is approaching soon enough that I thought I'd try get together
a list for people to request to be part of an archiving tutorial. Here's a
possible list:

Heidi Johnson--How to prepare metadata for depositing materials to an
archive (or something like that)

Debbie Anderson--Unicode and archiving

Gary Holton--Working with legacy materials in an archive (?)

Someone from AIATSIS (not sure what topic--maybe the relationship between
the documenter, archive, and the community--and "rights" management?)

Someone from the Survey at Berkeley (maybe on either, preparing older
materials for archiving--as a generation of mid-20th century Americanists
retires, this is likely to happen more and more or digitizing older
materials--since they may be starting a project on that soon)

Me--I'll talk about how to start a new digital archive, with lessons
learned from CBOLD (maybe I'll see if Ronald Sprouse wants to talk on
this, too)

Someone from EMELD (Michael--do you think there would be interest?)--They
could talk about the use of tools which make producing archive formats
easier

Someone from OLAC--to talk about metadata issues

Someone from DOBES--about organizing resources into a proper hierarchy?

Is archiving at the Endangered Language Program far enough along for their
to be a way they could contribute?

Okay--that seems like enough (actually, it's too many, but I'm assuming
not everyone will be able to participate).

Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Ideally, I'd like to
e-mail individual contributors late this week/early next week to see if
they're interested.

What I'd need by April 15th is a 500-page abstract for each presenter.
We'll also need a 2-5 page overview by then. The 4/15 deadline is to allow
the Program Committee to make comments and suggestions. Then, there's
another deadline for September 1.

Jeff