Boston 2004, tutorial

Heidi Johnson hjohnson at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Mon Mar 8 20:12:45 UTC 2004

Jeff wrote:
> What I'd need by April 15th is a 500-page abstract for each presenter.

Please tell us you meant 500 WORD abstracts!!! If it has to be 500 pages,
then only Peter Wittenburg will be able to present!

I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner, you're having to do all the work. I
think your program looks great. Should we call this tutorial something
like Archiving and Language Documentation? It's very documentation-
oriented. Is that catchy enough to attract people, or should we get the
word 'digital' in there somewhere?

We could get everyone to do a talk that's about both their particular
archive/organization and also about how archiving fits into a language
documentation program, which I feel is a point we need to make loudly and
often.

I've refined your list a little bit:

Jeff - CBOLD / starting a new archive
Heidi - AILLA / archiving & americanist linguistics and/or corpus mgmt
Gary H. - ANLC / legacy materials  & why we need them
??? - Berkeley Survey / legacy materials, or maybe we could get them to
      talk about people who use their archive & why
??? - AIATSIS or PARADISEC / this would undoubtedly be about rights and/or
      about community archives, if it's a PARADISEC person.
Steven? - OLAC / global registry and search for a better world
MPI person - IMDI / metadata for language documentation materials and/or
      corpus management
Debbie - Unicode and archiving minority language materials
Helen - EMELD / overview of the School of Best Practice and one of her
      inspiring summaries

That's nine. Half an hour each makes 4.5, so there wouldn't be time for a
break or questions. If we can make each presentation 20 minutes, it would
all fit. Maybe we could do a panel Q&A sort of thing.

Most of these people have done more or less these very talks before,
so they should be able to come up with abstracts on short notice. I'm going
to meet a whole bunch of language documentation and archive people in
Australia in the next two weeks, surely one of them will be able to come.
And I promise to help write that 2-5 page overview when I get back.

This could be really nice. I don't know what other sorts of endangered
language events are being planned, but the community in general is always
glad to see more attention given.

Heidi