Boston 2004, tutorial

Heidi Johnson hjohnson at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Wed Mar 10 16:58:57 UTC 2004

Jeff wrote:

> I have to admit I'm not good with titles.
>
> Keeping your data from becoming endangered:
> A tutorial on best practice in archiving

This is a great title! It appeals to people's self-interest, and says what
the tutorial is about. We can work with this, and we have til September
to fiddle with it if we want. Also, we should have some little flyers
at the registration table announcing the tutorial and the publishers' booth,
where we can expand on the theme a little.

> We probably want
> someone to talk about putting audio/video into archiving format. There are
> two distinct issues here: how to record new things and what to do with old
> things.
Good idea, and Berkely would be great if they already know this stuff. If
they're just getting started, they may not feel up to snuff yet. It could
be another job for the Australians, or maybe one of our Best Practice
phoneticians? Jean Andruski (Wayne State) or Chilin Shih (U of Illinois).
Dr. Shih could give that talk about Sound Conversion that she gave at
the EMELD meeting last summer over and over again - it was really
clear and informative.

And if we add a funder or two, we will have quite a long list. (Helen Aguera
is very interested in this stuff and would most likely appreciate an
invitation even if she can't come. NEH funds AILLA, among others.)

We may either need more than 4.5 hours (is that possible?), or we'll have
to have pretty short talks. We can live without a break, maybe, but there
should surely be at least 30 minutes for Q&A, shouldn't there?

> Unless I hear objections in the next few days, I'll start contacting
> possible participants to see if they're interested/willing.

If you have time, it's a good idea, give people a head's up. If we get
firm yes's or no's, it will help us map out the timetable.

See you,
Heidi