LSA office hours

Heidi Johnson hjohnson at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Mon Dec 12 13:08:49 UTC 2005

Dear all,
We have signed up for office hours for our group, on Saturday from 2:00 -
5:00.
That will parallel our tutorial, which is Friday 2-5. I forget which room
we'll be in,
but we'll be listed in the catalog as OLAC Office Hours.

We should work out a schedule for who will be there when, that we can
announce
and pass out on a little flyer at the tutorial. Remember, the main purpose
of the
office hours was to give people a chance to ask more detailed questions of
the
tutorial speakers, so I hope most of y'all speakers can plan on being there
Sat.
for at least 1/2 hour or so. We also had talked about having an OLAC
technical
expert there for some part of the time to talk to people about registering
their
archive/materials with OLAC. Another thought was to have a period of time
devoted to IPR counselling, as I think of it - time for people to discuss
their concerns
about archiving and access of sensitive materials.

We may not have wireless access in the office hours room. There is access in
all the public spaces, so my guess is that it will likely leak into the
office hours
rooms. If it doesn't, and someone needs counselling that requires internet
access,
probably we can just slip out into the nearest public access space to show
them
whatever it is. But it would be wise to be prepared to talk about, e.g. OLAC
registration,
without internet access.

I will be there for the whole time, so you can leave flyers or equipment or
whatever.
But I can't answer all the questions! It is highly likely that we will get a
steady trickle
of people who want one-on-one help with something, so please try to reserve
a little
chunk of time on Sat. afternoon to come by the room. (I have the room name
at work -
I'll post it as soon as I get a chance. Gonna be a busy day not in my
office....)

See y'all soon,
Heidi

Heidi Johnson, PhD
Project Manager
The Archive of the Indigenous Languages of Latin America
1 University Station C3200
The University of Texas at Austin
Austin, Texas 78712

(512) 495-4604