LSA office hours

Gary Simons Gary_Simons at SIL.ORG
Wed Dec 14 02:00:15 UTC 2005

Heidi,

I'll be at LSA and will be happy to be there during the whole 3 hour time
block in order to answer technical questions.

-Gary

             Heidi Johnson
             <hjohnson at MAIL.UT
             EXAS.EDU>                                                  To
             Sent by: OLAC             OLAC-OUTREACH at listserv.linguistlist
             Outreach Working          .org
             Group                                                      cc
             <OLAC-OUTREACH at li
             stserv.linguistli                                     Subject
             st.org>                   LSA office hours

             12/12/2005 07:08
             AM

             Please respond to
             hjohnson at MAIL.UTE
                  XAS.EDU

Dear all,

We have signed up for office hours for our group, on Saturday from 2:00 -
5:00.

That will parallel our tutorial, which is Friday 2-5. I forget which room
we'll be in,

but we'll be listed in the catalog as OLAC Office Hours.

We should work out a schedule for who will be there when, that we can
announce

and pass out on a little flyer at the tutorial. Remember, the main purpose
of the

office hours was to give people a chance to ask more detailed questions of
the

tutorial speakers, so I hope most of y'all speakers can plan on being there
Sat.

for at least 1/2 hour or so. We also had talked about having an OLAC
technical

expert there for some part of the time to talk to people about registering
their

archive/materials with OLAC. Another thought was to have a period of time

devoted to IPR counselling, as I think of it - time for people to discuss
their concerns

about archiving and access of sensitive materials.

We may not have wireless access in the office hours room. There is access
in

all the public spaces, so my guess is that it will likely leak into the
office hours

rooms. If it doesn't, and someone needs counselling that requires internet
access,

probably we can just slip out into the nearest public access space to show
them

whatever it is. But it would be wise to be prepared to talk about, e.g.
OLAC registration,

without internet access.

I will be there for the whole time, so you can leave flyers or equipment or
whatever.

But I can't answer all the questions! It is highly likely that we will get
a steady trickle

of people who want one-on-one help with something, so please try to reserve
a little

chunk of time on Sat. afternoon to come by the room. (I have the room name
at work -

I'll post it as soon as I get a chance. Gonna be a busy day not in my
office....)

See y'all soon,

Heidi

Heidi Johnson, PhD

Project Manager

The Archive of the Indigenous Languages of Latin America

1 University Station C3200

The University of Texas at Austin

Austin, Texas 78712

(512) 495-4604