LSA booth report

Gary Simons Gary_Simons at SIL.ORG
Sat Jan 15 17:17:41 UTC 2005

Heidi,

I want to get another point down on our official list of ideas for next
time.  I wandered by the booth from time to time to be in the vicinity in
case anyone wanted technical consulting on how to become an OLAC data
provider.  I ended up having lengthy interactions with three individuals
who are tasked with implementing a data provider for their archive to
answer their questions.  This time around it just managed to happen without
any specific planning or scheduling, but we could probably maximize those
kinds of opportunities if it were specifically planned and advertised.  We
could post a sign in the booth announcing the hours when a technical
consultant would be on hand to answer detailed questions about becoming an
OLAC data provider--maybe an hour-long period during each morning and
afternoon that the booth is open. Whoever is on duty in the booth could
encourage enquirers to come back during one of those periods if they start
asking questions that get too technical.  It would also be nice to get some
of that advertised in the conference program as office hours.

-Gary