LSA tutorial comments

Jeff Good good at EVA.MPG.DE
Mon Jan 17 14:35:48 UTC 2005

Hello everyone,

Writing that last reply, I realized that someone should probably post to
the list about how the other OLAC event--the tutorial on archiving--went.

Since I was moderating most of it, I have to admit I wasn't keeping track
of details to remember for next year. I will say that my own sense was
that it went over fairly well. For a Thursday afternoon, I thought
attendance was quite good. I also think we may have reached out to a
handful of new people who will seriously consider participating in OLAC.

One thing I was very pleasantly surprised about was the number of people
who stayed for a large part of the session--even up until 6:00 we had good
attendance despite schedule a break around 5:00 when everyone could have
left. They did leave the room--but then they came back.

In my own view, this is certainly something to try again--maybe next time
getting a better slot. One idea Heidi and I talked about  is that, to
decrease administrative load, we should plan LSA Convention tutorials to
alternate with LSA Summer Institutes where, hopefully, there'll be
archiving classes. 2006 is an even year and therefore not a Summer
Institute year--so, we should plan on something.

By the way, OLAC Outreach has been planning things in conjunction with LSA
because it's been convenient for some of the organizers. If anyone wants
to suggest we plan more internationally, I'm open to suggestions of other
good venues to plan events for.

Jeff