LSA booth feedback

Heidi Johnson ailla at AILLA.ORG
Tue Jan 18 16:26:53 UTC 2005

Baden wrote:
> It will also be interesting to see what discernable effect, if any, the
> OLAC booth at LSA has on usage of services like OLAC search. At the end of
> the month I'll generate some stats from the search engine.
>
> What I've heard both elsewhere is that we might need to think
> more about what the OLAC presence is for: to provide a "clinic" on how to
> create OLAC data providers (maybe that's the office hours thang) ? or to
> promote OLAC's services ?

That's a good point. I suspect that a lot of people would avail
themselves of consultations specifically about setting up an OLAC
data provider. Let the booth promote and point people to the
office hours for considered support.

We might very well get people wanting individual help on corpus
management and metadata and so forth. I would love to get people
in the habit of bringing tapes to LSA for AILLA, for example, but
I know from experience that it is very hard to do their metadata
(which they never have ahead of time) sitting in a corner of a
crowded lobby. I wonder if any of the other archives would find
this useful?

I wonder if we might want to do a booth AND office hours? The office
hours are free, I think. The advantage of the office thing is that
there would be a quiet room with a table and chairs where you could
sit together and do something tangible. Even if we get extra tables
in front of our booth, it's still a distracting environment.

We would need people to man these two facilities...

Heidi