LSA Annual Meeting Albuquerque 2006

Jeff Good good at EVA.MPG.DE
Mon Mar 7 22:53:01 UTC 2005

Dear OLAC Outreach,

It seems like only yesterday that we put on the Outreach tutorial, but
it's getting to be time again to think about whether or not we want to
do a tutorial next year. I'm strongly in favor of this as I think last
year's was a success.

Preliminary proposals are due to the LSA by April 15. This still gives
us time, but we should begin to think now about (i) whether we want to
do a tutorial again (I say, yes!) and (ii) what topic we might like to
pursue. The reason we should start to think now is so we can begin to
ask possible presenters if they would be interested.

I think the general topic of a tutorial for next year could be the same
as last year's: Archiving and Linguistic Resources. However, perhaps
rather than covering this topic generally like last year, we could
choose a specific area to focus on.

Please let me know if you think we should do this again! I'd also love
to hear any suggestions people have for a topic.

By the way, LSA 2006 will be in Albuquerque. And, the next major
Outreach event on the horizon is planning something for the 2007
Institute at Stanford. Perhaps we should think of ways to be less
Americentric. The German Linguistic Society, I know, next year is
having, as the theme of its conference, Language Documentation (or
something like that), if we'd like a European outlet. I'd be happy to
hear suggestions about outreach in other parts of the world, as well.

Jeff