LSA Annual Meeting Albuquerque 2006

Jeff Good good at EVA.MPG.DE
Mon Mar 7 23:15:28 UTC 2005

> IIRC, the post-LSA discussions here suggested a number of things,
> including a tutorial, some office hours, a demo etc based on this year's
> activities. I think we need to do something slightly different to this

Yes--you're completely correct. I should have made it clear that I didn't
intend this planning to preclude planning of other events. The main reason
to bring this up now is because, for some reason, the LSA has this very
early deadline for organized session proposals. Most other things, like
office hours, etc., don't need to be planned until September.

But it clearly makes sense to keep the idea of there being other events in
mind when we choose a topic since we might find that this choice will
affect what we'll do elsewhere.

> year, for several reasons including to differentiate it from simply being
> a repeat performance and to account for technology/tool changes, which
> impact heavily on the "advice" component of the OLAC mission.

I completely agree--by the way, do you (or anyone) see any particular
technology/tool developments going on that we should address?
(Will we know what to do with video in 2006, for example? Do we expect
the E-MELD workshop on ontologies to result in something that is
"tutorial" friendly?)

> I'm planning on doing a short segment at the Australian Linguistics
> Society in a "data management for linguists" workshop in
> Melbourne in September. This will be pretty high level as far as content
> goes, and I haven't thought a lot about the content as yet.

Well, if you want to call it an OLAC Outreach event, I'd have no problem
with that! More generally, though, do you think the Australian Linguistics
Society meeting in some future year would be an appropriate venue for an
Outreach event? We could think about planning one.

Jeff