LSA Annual Meeting Albuquerque 2006

Gary Holton gary.holton at UAF.EDU
Wed Mar 9 16:09:09 UTC 2005

I agree wholeheartedly that a general documentation "how-to" is much
needed. Video is a very important area to cover. I have a lot of video
with dark faces in a corner of the room.  And though I've learned a lot
from working with film people, it's also clear that linguists cannot
meet the often demanding standards of filmmakers (sorry, I'm not going
to lug 50 kg. of lighting gear and a generator to the field!). What's
needed is a short course in "video for linguistic documentation". Some
sort of middle ground between home video skills and hi-def videography.

Emily raises a good point about human subjects, though I would caution
that this could almost be a  workshop unto itself. The human subjects
and IRB issues have been huge for all aspects of linguistic research,
not just documentation. But we would do well to attend at least to the
intellectual property aspects in a documentation tutorial.

Gary