LSA Annual Meeting Albuquerque 2006

Heidi Johnson hjohnson at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Wed Mar 9 17:39:06 UTC 2005

Gary wrote:
> Emily raises a good point about human subjects, though I would caution
> that this could almost be a  workshop unto itself. The human subjects
> and IRB issues have been huge for all aspects of linguistic research,
> not just documentation. But we would do well to attend at least to the
> intellectual property aspects in a documentation tutorial.

Except that I hear just the opposite: people have talked the
IPR/IRB issue to death, and while of course there are always new
people and new concerns, the field linguists around here are mostly
clamoring for help with the technology.

On Gary's points about videos: There's got to be some people with
clever ways of spiffing up a film without lugging 20kg of fancy
expensive stuff around. Like just not standing people in the shade!
Or maybe tips on getting a reflective surface above people's heads...

Remember those Voices of the World guys? Maybe we could elicit some
kind of Top Ten Tips for Documentary Filming from them... we did
write all those letters for them!

Heidi