LSA Annual Meeting Albuquerque 2006

Heidi Johnson hjohnson at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Thu Mar 10 16:13:04 UTC 2005

Jeff wrote:
> The next thing to do, then, is put together a list of topics and possible
> people to speak on those topics. Let me suggest an initial list, based
> partly on the discussion the last few days:
>
> 1. Audio formats (with possible speaker Chilin Shih?)
>
> 2. Audio recording (hardware, microphones, setup, etc. with possible
> speaker Bartek Plichta?)
But only if he's going to be fair-minded about the whole mini-disc
thing. We can't pry them out of people's hands around here, so we
have to come up with an appropriate path for their use. Also,
digitizing at 96Khz is excessive for speech, imho and many others...

> 3. Video formats (no idea on a speaker--someone from DoBeS?)
> 4. Video recording (no idea--but maybe someone from DoBeS?)
Definitely someone from DOBES! Or, maybe this would be good place for
a UNM person to step in. People who study sign tend to use a lot
of video. And/or, the Wilcoxes might know someone in their Communications
dept who is good at low-tech video-recording.

> 5. IPR and Ethics in audio and video
I really think we should skip this topic, and skip the funding topic, and
give more time to the technology and methods. We don't have to say
everything every time.

> 6. Audio, video, and metadata (including, hopefully, discussion of OLAC
> metadata for audio and video? What shape is it in? Heidi, would you be
> appropriate for this?)
Nick Thieberger would be better, but heck - metadata is metadata! I could
put together a form and/or Shoebox template and/or spreadsheet thingie with
the OLAC fields.

> 7. Audio, video, and genres (what should be recorded in audio, what should
> be recorded in video, are some genres more suited to one or the other? I
> don't have any good ideas for speakers)
An ethnographer, maybe? If we do this, it would be a good place to say
"And you can also record the speaker's statement of consent."

> 8. Recording for the future: How to record keeping possible uses by
> linguists, speaker communities, and the public in mind (someone at Austin
> in CILLA as a speaker? Someone at the ANLC?).
This is more about how the recordings are annotated than about the
recording process itself. Maybe we should end with a spiel about software
for transcription & annotation?

> We had nine presentations last year--so, I'll stop with this.
Yeah, but they were too short to be very substantive. I would vote for
longer presentations that go into more detail.

> Two other thoughts:
>
> It would be good to try to involve the University of New Mexico in some
> way--especially because we might want local help at some point.
Absolutely! We would want to use their equipment for demonstration purposes,
if they have any that could be borrowed.

> It would be nice, I think, to try to invite representatives of the local
> indigenous communities given the conference's location in the Southwest. A
> UNM contact would probably be able to help us with this. It would be
> _really_ nice if we could get some funding for such a thing.
That would be extremely nice. We'd need funds for registration, travel,
room & board. Where would we get it? We'd have to apply soon...

Does anyone know anyone at UNM well enough to write to them and ask
them about some of this? There may already be plans for bringing nearby
indigenous persons to the meeting...

Heidi