Something out of CS that might be relevant...

Emily M. Bender ebender at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Thu Mar 10 23:09:12 UTC 2005

While we're on the topic of video, I thought that the following
abstract might be of interest.  I doubt that it would be practical
in many field situations, nor for budgetary reasons in other situations
for the near term, but it's probably worth knowing that this stuff
is going on.

Emily

----- Forwarded message from Scott Dakins <sjdakins at cs.washington.edu> -----

UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON
Seattle, Washington 98195

Computer Science and Engineering
Box 352350
(206) 543-1695

COLLOQUIUM

SPEAKER:   Gregory Abowd, Georgia Institute of Technology

TITLE:     From Whimsical to Medical: Why I Care About Capturing Life Experiences

DATE:      Tuesday, March 8, 2005

TIME:      3:30 pm

PLACE:     EE-105

HOST:      Gaetano Borriello

ABSTRACT:

For the past ten years at Georgia Tech, we have been motivated to
achieve some fraction of the potential that Mark Weiser envisioned for
ubiquitous computing.  Taking an applications-driven approach, we have
focussed on augmenting spaces, including the classroom, office, home and
body, providing "living laboratories" of ubiquitous computing research.
One common theme in our investigations is the capture of live
experiences for later access.  In this talk, I would like to expose the
rich possibilities of this problem domain through a more detailed
discussion of two case studies. In the first example, we examine how a
desire to share decades of family memories drives the development of
semi-automated tools to annotate and browse home movies and further
motivates the ability to annotate video at the point of capture. Though
this home movie case study is inspired by a desire to share the
whimsical and otherwise emotionally stirring memories of family life, it
also suggests more serious medical applications.  The second example,
inspired by the first, applies automated capture to track the
developmental progress of children. We specifically address the
challenges of developmental progress in children with autism, hoping
that the technological leverage of automated capture can help families,
educators and researchers better understand the effectiveness of a
variety of intervention strategies.

Refreshments to be served in room prior to talk.

*NOTE* This lecture will be broadcast live via the Internet. See
http://www.cs.washington.edu/news/colloq.info.html for more information.

Email: talk-info at cs.washington.edu
Info: http://www.cs.washington.edu/

The University of Washington is committed to providing access, equal
opportunity and reasonable accomodation in its services, programs,
activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities.
To request disability accommodation, contact the Disability Services
Office at least ten days in advance of the event at: (206) 543-6450/V,
(206) 543-6452/TTY, (206) 685-3885/FAX, or access at u.washington.edu.

----- End forwarded message -----

----- End forwarded message -----