LSA Annual Meeting Albuquerque 2006, initial invitation list

Jeff Good good at EVA.MPG.DE
Thu Mar 17 12:05:09 UTC 2005

Dear all,

The LSA just officially posted the March 2005 bulletin and the deadline
for organized session initial proposals is April 15th, like last year.

We can't work out a full schedule of invitees yet since we're still
waiting to see how UNM might be able to help. But, I thought maybe we
could send out some invitations to people we know we'll want to attend.
I'm going to make some specific suggestions. If people don't
commment/object to them by, let's say, Monday, I'll send out
invitations to these people and start putting together a schedule.

I'm aiming right now for eight possible slots, assuming one will fall
through during the planning. Here are my suggestions (where I have
them, and where I don't, I'll indicate this):

1. Audio formats: Chilin Shih

2. Audio recording: Sven Grawunder, MPI Leipzig
His name hasn't come up before--he's here in Leipzig now and has worked
on a DoBeS Tofan documentation project. I think he's perfect for this
since he's done a lot of field work in Siberia, knows all sort of
technical details about audio (like what Minidisc compression will and
will not distort), and also is completely aware of the trade-offs of
using different hardware in real field situations. (So, for example,
he'll tell you when a Minidisc might be OK--unlike a lot of audio
"experts".)

3. Video formats:
I'll e-mail Peter Wittenburg and ask him for a suitable DoBeS
representative.

4. Video recording
Not sure on this. Hoping for someone at UNM.

5. Audio, video, and metadata
Nick Thieberger

6. Audio, video, and genres
Hopefully an ethnography type at UNM

7. Recording for the future
I think we should ask Peter Austin to see if someone from SOAS would
like to take up this topic)

8. Recording and funding
Not sure.

Let me know if you have any comments/objections,
Jeff