FW: OLAC at the 2006 LSA

Heidi Johnson hjohnson at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Mon Mar 21 16:14:39 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Eleanor Nevins [mailto:eleanor_nevins at msn.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2005 5:02 PM
To: hjohnson at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Subject: OLAC at the 2006 LSA

I've been "lurking" on the OLAC outreach list for several months now.   I
noticed from Jeff Good's posting that you are looking for "an ethnographic
type" to present on "genres and audio, video".  My own work focuses on the
dynamics of genres, and extends to problems of the compatibility of various
modes of documentation with locally defined discourse genres.  I'm also
interested in developing a more intricate set of descriptive tools for
describing genres dynamics in recorded speech, including considerations of
embedded genres, multiple or hybrid genre frames on a single event,
intertextual indices, etc.   Does this sound like the sort of thing the OLAC

group might  be interested in?   I realize I'm a relative unknown at this
point so it might not be appropriate to consider me for the slot proposed by

Jeff, but I wanted to let someone know that I'm interested in becoming more
involved in some capacity. Also, do you know who has been working on
problems of genre for OLAC already?

Thanks,
Eleanor

M. Eleanor Nevins