planning for 2007

Heidi Johnson hjohnson at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Fri Jan 13 21:22:16 UTC 2006

It's never too soon -

If we want to do another LSA tutorial next Jan, wherever the meeting is
going

to be held, we have to get our abstract in by April. I think we should do
both

a tutorial and the office hours every year forevermore. Consistency will
help

us reach more people and build over time.

So we need a theme for next year. Laura Buszard-Welcher suggested that we

do "archives": let representatives from archives present an introduction to
their

holdings (languages, regions, types of data), policies, and how the deposit

process works. Helen Dry suggested that we need to do some demos of what

OLAC is all about - some searches, show off ORE. Gary Simons suggested

that we could prepare a questionnaire in advance for all the OLAC archives,

asking them for basic info (coverage, policies, deposit procedures, access
rules,

etc.) so that we would have comparable info in similar format for everyone.

I think we should combine all of these good ideas and do a tutorial about

archives and archiving, with that nice questionnaire for our handout. The
session

could start with a talk+demo about OLAC, focussing on what it does for the
field.

Someone should also do a step-by-step guide to registering for (a)
individuals and

(b) small archives. Large archives can be directed to Gary or Baden or
somebody

for consultation. (Have your techies email our techies.)

Say that takes 50 minutes (2 short talks worth). Then we have 130 minutes
for

individual archives to step up to the mike and introduce themselves. Laura

suggested also that each one might include a bit about some focussed topic,

like what are archival audio formats. I've done a basic
intro-to-ailla-plus-basic-ipr

in 20 minutes, so that's not unreasonable. So we could have 5 or so archive

speakers/panelists. Or, we could have a panel of 5 or so archivists who do
very

brief intros and open the floor to questions for the bulk of the meeting....

The key is going to be finding a theme that interests the individual
linguist. They

should be interested in archiving, but hmm... Maybe a really catchy title
will help.

Maybe something like "Archives and technological services for linguists"...

"What archives can do for you"...

What do y'all think? Any other bold ideas for a topic?

Heidi