2007 institute course

Heidi Johnson hjohnson at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Fri Jan 13 21:46:58 UTC 2006

OK, this is the last one. Jeff and others really think that we should do a

course in preparing archival-quality language documentation materials at

the LSA Summer Institute, June-July 2007,  at Stanford.

Jeff & Helen & I worked up a trial proposal last year, for a 3-week course

that would overlap with a one-week EMELD workshop. I'm attaching it so

y'all can review it, if you want. This time we would do a 3-week course that

overlaps with a 2-day conference having something to do with endangered

languages - I forgot what Jeff said about that part, but there is some sort

of plan afoot for that already.

We would need funds for teachers - travel & lodging & per diems, at least -

so we will have to submit a proposal to NSF Linguistics, due July 15th,
which

means it has to be written and ready by June 15th (!). So we need to get

busy if we're really going to do this.

First we need a committee of 3-4 people to work on this: plan the course,
write

the proposal, organize the actual events. We should have someone who can
host

the grant at their institution - not me!! (Sponsored projects at UT are
getting horribly

backlogged - it would be way too hard to do our accounting here, trust me.)
But I'm

willing to do the other parts, and I'm pretty sure Jeff is willing, too - so
we need 2

more volunteers.

Second we need an outline of the course & conference, and a tentative list
of

teachers. Probably we should list teachers + alternates or something like
that.

Then we can do a rough budget that tells us what kind of $$ we're talking
about.

Then we can write to Joan Maling to get her advice about coordinating this
kind

of a collaborative grant - I've never done anything across several
institutions.

Then we try to get some people to sort of commit their time for a year ahead

and wring letters of support from them. THEN we can write the actual
proposal

and do the budget and all that jolly stuff.

What say you, outreachers? Any volunteers? Anyone have experience with this

kind of multi-institution conference sort of grant?

Heidi