next year's OLAC LSA tutorial

Heidi Johnson hjohnson at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Tue Feb 13 15:13:41 UTC 2007

Laura wrote;
> I think this is a great idea.  I think we could also add a slot to
> talk about how these are archive-worthy resources (to keep with the
> archives community theme), and how they might be repurposed and
> expanded on by others in the speech community...or perhaps how
> educators take linguistic resources and modify them for their own
> language teaching purposes.

I would love to see a whole basketful of ideas from all
directions, but especially from communities, that can be archived
and thus disseminated widely. I wonder if anyone could do a talk
about resources for language education/revitalization - sort of a
bibliographic component to the program?

Peter Austin wrote:
> 1. that the focus be on working WITH communities and speakers to:
> (a) work out what they want from linguists research and how that might be
> provided (eg. genres of output, different types of interfaces to the data
> sets etc)
> (b) work out how these things can be provided by smart use of technology
> (c) identify the limits of what is possible within a given project (so >
> that expectations on both sides can be more happily met and
> disappointments minimised)

These are three great topics, taken individually as well as together.
A talk about someone's experiences in working out the limits/scope of
such a project with community members would be very helpful, I'll bet,
for people who would like to do something but are afraid of taking on
more than they can handle.

1a subsumes my bibliography idea. Could we get some kind of overview
presentation? What are the genres of materials that are commonly requested
by communities? What media are being used in what environments?

Then a few talks for 1b presenting specific examples & experiences. This
is where Andrea Berez' activities in Alaska would come in, for example.
(Oops - I need to forward that one, too.)

Can we identify some people for the overview-ish talks? Remember, they
have to be people who would be coming to LSA anyway, since we never
have funds for travel.

Heidi