Astronomical terms

Scott Berthiaume scott-tonia_berthiaume at sil.org
Thu Dec 12 22:30:32 UTC 2002

Scott,
>From the back of my head I can only tell you so far the way to refer to the sun and the moon in Western Otomi:

"nzöno" (<ö> open /o/) is the name for the moon, and as usual for month as well.
"hjadi" is the sun, it's root "hja-" -an old palatalization of a certain /-j/ group on an ancient "ha-" theme- is also found in the word for "light", which is "hja-'-ts'i". Sorry about tones, but I believe that in both cases the /a/ in the root receives a low tone.

I'll look into the way the say other astronomic entities, but as for the moon and the sun, I have heard people refer to them as "our honorable father the sun " and "our honorable mother the moon". And here the morph for "father" is older than the current word for father, which evinces that the construction is old enough. If you need more details, I'm here.

Inspirations,
Enrique