<OM> Urgent! Endangered o-m lgs.

Scott Berthiaume scott_berthiaume at sil.org
Mon Mar 15 05:04:02 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Heriberto Avelino" <avelino at humnet.ucla.edu>

> MATLATZINCA, O: a language of Mexico
I did fieldwork in San Francsico in 1996-97. I have a draft about noun
morphology and tone.
There are more than 100 speakers, and the community is larger than the
data reported in the census.

> SIL code: OCU
> ISO 639-2: cai
>
> Population50 to 100 fluent speakers (1993 SIL), 642 in the ethnic group,
no monolinguals (1990 census).
> RegionState of México, Ocuilan municipio, San Juan Atzingo, Santa Lucía
del Progreso.
> Alternate names OCUILTECO, OCUILTEC, ATZINTECO, TLAHURA, TLAHUICA
> ClassificationOto-Manguean, Otopamean, Matlatzincan.
> CommentsClosely related to Matlatzinca of Francisco de los Ranchos, but
not inherently intelligible. Bilingualism in Spanish. Mountain slope. Nearly
extinct.
> Entries from the SIL Bibliography about this language:
> Bartholomew, Doris A. 1989. "The Proto Otopamean vowel system and the
development of Matlatzinca."
> ZAPOTECO, ASUNCIÓN MIXTEPEC: a language of Mexico
> SIL code: ZOO
> ISO 639-2: zap
> >
> CHIAPANECO: a language of Mexico
> SIL code: CIP
> ISO 639-2: cai
>
> Population150 including 17 speakers out of 32 ethnic population in Chiapas
(1990 census).
> RegionState of Chiapas, El Bosque (2), Las Margaritas (2), Ocosingo (4),
Palenque (2), Sabanilla (7).
> ClassificationOto-Manguean, Chiapanec-Mangue.
> CommentsReported to be quite similar to Chorotega of Costa Rica and El
Salvador. Nearly extinct.

In 1991 I was looking for the traces of Chiapaneco in the area of
Palenque-Ocosingo-Yajalon-Sabanilla. I didn;t find anything. Looking at
the localities in the census, I believe the reports are wrong. I was in
Sabanilla and didn't hear of any other language than Chol.