[parislinguists] confs de Villiers/Roeper

Lea Nash leanash at WANADOO.FR
Mon Apr 25 20:16:49 UTC 2005

L'UMR 7023 (SFL)
a le plaisir d'annoncer deux exposés

Date : lundi 9 mai 2005
Lieu : locaux SFL, 15 rue Catulienne, 93 Saint-Denis, salle 205
Heure : 10:00-11:30 (JdV), 11:30-13:00 (ThR)
Métro : Basilique de Saint-Denis
RER : Saint-Denis

10:00-11:30
The emergence of barriers across different operators in acquisition
Jill de Villiers
Smith College, Northampton, USA

  11:30-13:00
Deep-Checking, Immediate-Checking and Iterativity
          Thomas Roeper
University of Massachusetts, Amherst, USA

RESUME (Jill de Villiers)

In this talk, I present some recent work done with D'Jaris Coles-White
and Thomas Roeper on 21 children who speak African American English. The
study compared three phenomena that are subject to barriers in adult
grammar: wh-movement, quantifier interpretation, and negative concord.
The interpretation of sentences containing any of these disparate
phenomena is affected when they occur within relative clauses, which
form barriers to certain readings. In the case of wh-movement, the
movement is in syntax. In the case of the quantifier, the movement is
covert, at Logical Form. Which type is negative concord like? When do
these barrier effects emerge, and why are some later than others? We
propose a novel account, using Fox's scope-shifting principle and some
new facts about negation.

RESUME (Thomas Roeper)

     Chomsky (1995) articulates a notion of Seek Sublabel to
account for Checking where the Feature is embedded in a Pied-piped
element:  a picture of whom did you say__was on the mantel.
The same occurs for cases like:
        who do you like a picture of
        a picture of whom do you like
We provide evidence from pairing environments that suggests
that embedded wh-blocks pairing:
         a picture of whom looks like a picture of whom
resists pairing while
        whose picture looks like whose picture.
We provide an analysis in terms of c-command that
triggers quantification to explain the difference.  The
same property holds for iterativity (from tree to tree)
which requires more than two trees and therefore
invokes quantification.
     Acquisition and parsing evidence
buttress the idea that Immediate Feature-checking
is more economical and explains First Resort
do-insertion in language acquistion and judgements
of ungrammaticality in speeded judgements of
German sentences where pied-piped wh- elements
are ungrammatical as they are for English sentences like:
        *John wondered a picture of whom Bill saw.
We argue against a generalized theory of locality
proposed by Fitzpatrick (LI 2003)