CfP Journal of Language Contact: New online Journal

Clara Romero ulysse21fr at YAHOO.FR
Wed Nov 9 09:19:10 UTC 2005

De: Robert Nicolai <nicolai at eva.mpg.de>

  Announcement

  New online journal:

  Journal of Language Contact (JLC)
  Evolution of languages, contact and discourse

  Editors
  Alexandra Aikhenvald (La Trobe, Melbourne, Australia), Robert Nicolaï (Nice & Institut universitaire de France).

  (Please refer to the website http://www.jlc-journal.org/ for information about Editorial Board, Editorial Staff and Editorial Procedures.)

  Purpose

  The fact of language “contact” and its impact on the dynamics of language are recognized today. Questions relating to this topic no longer derive from marginal studies nor from the treatment of “special cases": whether the issue is to understand the evolution of languages, their structural and material transformations, or simply to take account of their ordinary use, language contact is omnipresent.
  We would like JLC to focus on the study of language contact, language use and language change in accordance with a view of language contact whereby both empirical data (the precise description of languages and how they are used) and the resulting theoretical elaborations (hence the statement and analysis of new problems) become the primary engines for advancing our understanding of the nature of language. And this will involve associating linguistic, anthropological, historical, and cognitive factors. We believe such an approach could make a major new contribution to understanding language change at a time when there is a notable increase of interest and activity in this field.
  JLC should provide a forum for discussion of general perspectives and should accept contributions of any orientation on the principle that reasoned argumentation will enrich our understanding of language contact.

  Call for papers

  JLC will publish two series:
  - ‘THEMA series’ will publish issues focusing on a chosen topic. They each will be edited by an Issue Editor, who will, in agreement with the Editors of JLC, determine the content and the envisaged participants. Content of the first issue of THEMA series will be published in the second half of 2006. Propositions for a THEMA issue are welcomed and should be sent to: nicolai at unice.fr, email-subject: Contribution.JLC.Thema.
  - ‘VARIA series’ will be open to all kinds of contributions which are concerned with the outlined objectives of the journal, but not subject to a common theme of the issue. Contributions should be send to: nicolai at unice.fr or H.Schreiber at em.uni-frankfurt.de, email-subject: Contribution.JLC.Varia.
  Papers may be either in French or in English. Please refer to http://www.jlc-journal.org/ for detailed information.

  Robert Nicolaï
  Université de Nice

  -------
  Message redirigé par le relais d'information sur les sciences de la cognition (RISC)
  http://www.risc.cnrs.fr