adverbe "assez", demande d'info

Anne Dagnac Elniglu1 at AOL.COM
Tue Mar 20 17:29:50 UTC 2007

Transmis de Linguist List à la demande de l'auteur :
Contact :
         Subject: Different meanings of "assez"
        http://linguistlist.org/people/notice/notice-33927.html
       From: Martine Thivierge-Bournival

I am a master student in French linguistic at Queen’s University in Kingston,
Ontario. My thesis subject is the syntax and semantics of adverb «assez»
(enough) in French. I am interested in the different readings of assez:

degree adverb (J’ai assez mangé. / I ate enough)

completion adverb (Luc a assez terminé de peinturer sa chambre. / Luc has
almost finished to peint his room.)

and frequency adverb (Marie est assez allée au cinema. / Marie went enough
often to the theater.)

Unfortunately, I am having a hard time finding references on the semantics of
'enough' or completion adverbials in general. I would like to know if someone
meanings these adverbs can have in French, English or other languages.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Martine Thivierge-Bournival

       From: Martine Thivierge-Bournival