HIGGINBOTHAM lundi 12/11

Bridget Copley bridget.copley at SFL.CNRS.FR
Mon Nov 5 15:12:38 UTC 2007

Le programme "Temporalité: Typologie et Acquisition" (temptypac) de la
Fédération "Typologie et Universaux Linguistiques" du CNRS a le plaisir
d'annoncer un exposé:

James Higginbotham, University of Southern California

"Tense Parameters"

Date : lundi 12 novembre 2007
Heure : 10h-12h
Lieu : CNRS Pouchet, 59 rue Pouchet 75017 Paris, salle 159
Métro : Guy Môquet ou Brochant

Résumé :

   I begin by rehearsing the account of English Tense, from Higginbotham
(2002) and (2006):

(∅)	The actual time of utterance is default in root clauses.

(I)	Tenses are binary, expressing one of the three relations ≈,<,or >
between (the
              actual times of) events or situations, where '≈' is the
relation between e and e' that
              holds when the time τ(e) of e surrounds the time τ(e') of e'.

(II)	Anaphoric +Past is ambiguous (in English) between (a) facilitating
	anaphora, but having a –Past interpretation (B-past), and (b) expressing <
	(A-Past).  The antecedent of a B-Past must be +Past, and the clause itself
	must be Stative.

(III)	-Past in situ cannot be anaphoric to +Past.

(IV)	Tenses in the C position of a complement clause are always anaphoric;
	movement of one copy of INFL to C is obligatory in these cases.

The theory applies both to the simple inflectional and paraphrastic
tenses and to extensions to the English Perfect and the Progressive.  It
follows from (IV) that Sequence of Tense is obligatory in complement
clauses, but not in relative clauses.  The phenomena of English “double
access” likewise fall out, as a joint consequence of (III) and (IV).

   There are a number of languages in which the forced double access
interpretation, as in the well-known example (1), does not occur:

(1)  John said that Mary is pregnant.

That is to say, in these languages the analogue of (1) means (and must
mean) merely that John said that there was such a thing as Mary’s being
pregnant at the time of his, John's, speaking.  Moreover, in some of
these languages (e.g., Korean, Romanian) the complement +Past can be
only a true Past; i.e., an A-Past in the sense of (II) above.  Sharvit
(2003) gives examples from Modern Greek as showing that, however common,
this pattern is not forced: expressed in terms of my outline above, it
may be that (III) fails whereas (II) holds, as it does in English.  She
fails to note, however, the requirement of stativity for the A-Past as
in (II), a point that will form part of my theme here.

   Double access appears in Italian and French with Imperfect
complements, not manifestly represented in English.  I shall assume for
purposes of this discussion that an analogue of (III) is at work in
these languages.

   Tense is an indexical, but not a demonstrative, feature: the
interpretation of an utterance using a Tense depends, as a strict matter
of linguistic form, upon a contextual parameter, namely the time of
utterance.  In contrast to other temporal indexicals (e.g., now, a year
ago), however,  embedded Tenses sometimes do not, and sometimes cannot,
behave as they would in isolation, in root clauses.  The reason, as
suggested by the above outline, is not that they are in any way
exceptions to the thesis that indexicals cannot shift their
interpretations when embedded, but rather than they participate in
anaphoric interclausal relations.  The same, I conjecture, should be
said for other cases where context-dependent elements shift their
interpretations when embedded.  I will illustrate with reference to
(what I am told in Byun (2007) about) Korean cikum, which appears to be
interpreted as now in root clauses, but then in some complements.

   Sharvit (2003) asks the important question whether the condition (II)
(permitting at least some occurrences of the B-Past) and condition (III)
(forcing double access) can vary independently.  She proposes to rule
out languages in which (III) holds as in English, but the complement
Past is never a B-Past.  I will argue that her proposal is defective,
for several reasons.  In any case, the very thing that she proposes not
to permit actually occurs in English, with non-Stative Past in the
complement of a Past, as in (2):

(2)  John said that Mary left the room.

The complement Past in (2) is only a A-Past, so there is no ambiguity.
The reason this is so cannot be that the English Present of an
achievement predicate is only "habitual," since (as noted in Giorgi and
Pianesi (1997)) the same happens in Italian, where the simple Present
can in fact be a report of what is presently occurring.  A good test
case for English is (3):

(3)  John said that Mary remained in her room.

The V remain is about as non-active an "Activity" V as one can get: one
can certainly say (4) in response to the question, "Where is Mary?"

(4)  Mary remains in her room.

(not surprisingly, given the historical, and the obvious semantic, link
between remain, become, and be).  However, (3) can only be interpreted
as a report of an alleged past, Past-Tense, utterance by John.
Inversely, (5) shows double access, as expected:

(5)  John said that Mary remains in her room.

The coexistence of forced double access with absence of a B-Past is thus
attested, and therefore possible in general.

   However, the generalization I offered above, that a B-Past must be
stative, is wrong, as the B-Past is available with the Perfect, as in (6):

(6)  John said that Mary had left.

The relevant interpretation is as in (7):

(7)  (∃e<u) Say(John,e,^(∃e'≈e)(∃e'': e' is Resultant of e'')
leave(Mary,e''))

which may truly report a past utterance of Mary has left by John.  The
correct  generalization appears to be that the B-Past is available in
English only for +Past attaching, not to the V, but to an auxiliary
element, as had, would, was, could, or might.  I shall speculate on why
this might be so.

   Finally, I shall endeavor to clarify some points with respect to
indexicality and the double access interpretation, and particularly (i)
to observe, that the embedded Present (or -Past) is by no means always
interpreted with respect to utterance time; and (ii) to note that the
occasional references in the literature to "optional double access"
unfortunately neglect to note that the notion of one event surrounding
another leaves the intended period of surrounding entirely open, so
that, for instance, examples like (8) tell us nothing about it:

(8)  John will divulge next week that Mary is pregnant.

Sequence of Tense is obligatory in (8); at the same time, the speaker of
(8) may intend to be understood as believing that what John will divulge
is true even as she speaks.