conf. GUERON 25/2

Bridget Copley bridget.copley at SFL.CNRS.FR
Sun Feb 17 13:05:15 UTC 2008

Le programme "Temporalité: Typologie et Acquisition" (temptypac) de la
Fédération "Typologie et Universaux Linguistiques" du CNRS a le plaisir
d'annoncer un exposé:

Jacqueline GUERON (Paris 3) :  "On the Parameter of Aspect"

Date : lundi 25 fév 2008
Lieu : 59 rue Pouchet, salle 159
Heure : 10h00-12h00
Métro : ligne 13, Guy Moquet ou Brochant

Un plan d'accès se trouve à :
http://www.umr7023.cnrs.fr/article.php3?id_article=86

Vous pouvez consulter le site web de temptypac à :
http://www.ivry.cnrs.fr/~7023web/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=31

Résumé :

     This talk presents work in progress in collaboration with
Svetlana Vogeleer on Aspect in French and Russian. I attempt to
situate some of Vogeleer's semantic hypotheses in a syntactic framework.
     I assume that deictic tense interpretation involves the mapping
of a situation described in vP onto the point of time which the T node
denotes. This point of time is contained in an interval of time
associated with the CP domain.
    If we assume that vP can describe all the Venderlian event types
in all languages, and that similarly all languages can, in one way or
anther,  point to the three semantic  times, Present, Past, and
Future, the question becomes "Why do sentence structures expressing
temporal interpretation vary so much  from one language to another"?
   For instance, the Russian imperfective past in (1a) translates into
French as either (progressive) (1b) or (anterior) (1c).
  (1) a. Masha ela jabloki.
         b. Masha mangeait des pommes,
         c. Masha a mangé des pommes.
    I will assume that  the difference between languages is to be
found in the grammar of Aspect which is based on a (small) set of
functional morphemes affixed to V or merged with vP either in the vP
domain or in a higher Aspect domain.
    Vogeleer describes two different approaches to aspect, each of
which is  appropriate for different language types. The "point of
view" or  temporal approach is  appropriate for Romance languages,
while the "quantization" approach is appropriate for Slavic languages.
   I will propose that these two approaches may be associated with
distinct syntactic levels of Aspect, independent of aktionsart , which
determine tense interpretation in different ways. Each level is
available in principle in any language and a language may use a
mixture of the two.
    For morphological  Aspect, in  vP itself,  grammatical morphemes
merged with V in the lexicon or in morphology determine the quantized
or cumulative internal structure of the event. This structure is then
predicated directly of the time line in T.This mapping  gives the
progressive reading of imperfectives, which are cumulative.
     There may be an intermediate level of  "point of view"  Aspect.
This seems to be a kind of nominalized or  participial level,  in
which   a syntactic morpheme, the participial head,  maps the entire
event  vP defines onto some point of time relative to (that is,
before, after, or simultaneous with ) a not-yet identified higher
point of time. The higher  point of time may be either the evaluation
time in T  or the reference time interval in Comp.
   Suppose either strategy is available in Russian. If a  cumulative
vP  is mapped directly onto a past evaluation time, Russian (1a)
translates as French (1b). Suppose the Russian vP may alternatively be
construed as a nominalized participial   form predicated onto a
relative point of time. If the participial form is mapped onto a
present time interval, as it is overtly in French (1c) in its
experiential construal, then we can understand why Russian (1a) may
also be equivalent to  (1c).