Conférence de M. Vihman le 26 mai

AROUI Jean-Louis aroui at UNIV-PARIS8.FR
Tue May 20 00:09:35 UTC 2008

L'UMR 7023 a le plaisir de vous convier, dans le cadre des séances de son
séminaire,

le lundi 26 mai 2008
10h00-12h00, Université Paris VIII, 2, rue de la liberté, 93200 Saint-Denis
(métro Saint-Denis Université, ligne 13), bâtiment D, salle D 143,

à une conférence de Marilyn Vihman (University of York)

intitulée

"Templates in phonological development"

Résumé :

The study of child language must ultimately find a way to account for the
developmental source of linguistic system. In one influential approach to
this problem Universal Grammar (or UG) is assumed to provide the essential
knowledge of linguistic structure that serves as the starting point for all
language acquisition, leading to the basic question, what exactly needs to be
learned? (Peperkamp, 2003). This must then be followed by the question of the
nature of the triggering process needed to establish the specifics of a given
language: How does the child recognize the critical data that will make it
possible to set the appropriate parameters? For approaches that deny the
existence of UG the questions are the converse: with what knowledge, if any,
does the child begin?, followed by the complementary question, how can the
child gain knowledge of linguistic structure or system?

In this talk I will begin by reviewing the arguments for ‘whole-word
phonology’, which I see as characterizing children’s first phonological
system (based on production data), and I will suggest learning mechanisms
that might underlie such a system. Secondly, I will report preliminary
findings from an ongoing study that puts those hypotheses to the test by
investigating the relationship of phonological advance to lexical and
grammatical learning in ‘expressive late talkers’ - children whose expressive
language is 6 or more months behind at age 2.5 years (with normal
comprehension). Our hypothesis is that the late talkers will fall into two
groups, identifiable from their word production: (i) children who are slow to
make a start but who show the same kind of sytematization in their word forms
as is found in the typically developing children and (ii) children whose word
production displays little evidence of systematization. The prediction is
that in one-year follow-up recordings (not yet available for analysis) group
(i) will have caught up with the typically developing children, showing
normal linguistic levels for their age as assessed for phonology,
morphosyntax and lexical diversity (based on spontaneous speech data) as well
as in formal tests; in contrast, group (ii) will continue to show language
delay and may be diagnosed as having Specific Language Impairment (SLI). I
will report on the procedure that we have developed to quantify and compare
systematicity – a critical first step in testing our hypothesis. In addition,
I will indicate the differences we are finding between the typically
developing children, on the one hand, and the late talkers, on the other, who
do appear to fall into the two groups that we were expecting to find.
--
Jean-Louis AROUI
Université Paris 8