CONFÉRENCE DE Michael J. Kenstowicz (M.I.T.) LE 17 NOVEMBRE (attention : salle inhabituelle)

AROUI Jean-Louis aroui at UNIV-PARIS8.FR
Sat Nov 8 14:08:15 UTC 2008

L'UMR 7023 a le plaisir de vous convier, dans le cadre des séances de son
séminaire (http://www.umr7023.cnrs.fr/spip.php?article667),

le lundi 17 novembre 2008
10h00-12h00,
Université Paris VIII, 2, rue de la liberté, 93200 Saint-Denis (métro
Saint-Denis Université, ligne 13)
[la salle D143 étant exceptionnellement indisponible ce jour-là, LA SALLE DANS
LAQUELLE SE TIENDRA CETTE SÉANCE DU SÉMINAIRE SERA CONFIRMÉE ULTÉRIEUREMENT
ET SERA INDIQUÉE EN LIGNE À LA PAGE
http://www.umr7023.cnrs.fr/spip.php?article667 DÈS QUE POSSIBLE],

à une conférence de Michael J. Kenstowicz (M.I.T.)

intitulée

« Emphatic Consonants and the Adaptation of Vowels in French Loanwords into
Moroccan Arabic » (joint research with Nabila Louriz, University Hassan II).

Résumé :
It is well known that redundant (enhancing) features in a vowel can signal a
phonemic contrast in an adjacent consonant. For example, English vowel
duration and nasality are tied directly to the voicing and nasality of a
following consonant.  In Mandarin Chinese [±back] in a vowel correlates with
coronal vs. velar nasal in following consonant.  Hsieh et al (2005) show that
when western loanwords with conflicting vowel and coda nasal combinations
[an] and [æng] are adapted into Mandarin, the redundant vowel rather than the
distinctive consonant determines the outcome—a result they attribute to the
relative saliency of the phonologically redundant vocalic difference vis a
vis the consonant.  In his groundbreaking study of borrowings into Moroccan
Arabic, Heath (1989) identified another striking example of this phenomenon,
observing that the mid vowels of French <moquette> are preserved by
introducing emphasis (pharyngealization) on the consonants in the
loan /MukeT/. He also pointed to the variability of the phenomenon since
Spanish muñeca is borrowed as MA /munik-a/ rather than /muNek-a/
or /MuNek-a/. In this presentation we review the results of a detailed study
of this phenomenon from a corpus of c. 1,800 French loans.  We discuss the
competing phonological and phonetic factors that underlie the adaptations and
appear to give rise to its variability.

--
Jean-Louis AROUI
Université Paris 8