[sfl-large] Re: Temptypac - Conf. A. Mari / F. Martin - 16/3

Bridget Copley bridget.copley at SFL.CNRS.FR
Fri Mar 13 10:54:08 UTC 2009

Redésolée, mais je viens de recevoir les nouvelles que le deuxième
auteur peut y venir. Donc:

Le programme "Temporalité: Typologie et Acquisition" (temptypac) de la
Fédération "Typologie et Universaux Linguistiques" du CNRS a le plaisir
d'annoncer un exposé:

« On the interaction between aspect and verbal polysemy :
(Im-)perfectivity and (Non-)implicativity »

Alda MARI
Institute Jean Nicod/ENS

Fabienne MARTIN
Universitât Stuttgart

Date : lundi 16 mars 2009
Lieu : 59 rue Pouchet, salle 159
Heure : 14h30-16h30
Métro : ligne 13, Guy Moquet ou Brochant

Un plan d'accès se trouve à :
http://www.umr7023.cnrs.fr/article.php3?id_article=86

Vous pouvez consulter le site web de temptypac à :
http://www.ivry.cnrs.fr/~7023web/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=31

Résumé :

In French as in other languages differentiating the perfective and the
imperfective morphologically, modal verbs sometimes behave like
implicative  verbs in perfective sentences. The account of the data
presented here is purely semantical and pragmatical in nature,
contrary to Hacquard's  (2006, ao) one who proposes a structural
account in terms of a scopal difference between the aspectual and the
modal operator. Our account relies on an ontological distinction
between classical dispositions (incl. abilities) and ephemeral ones.
This ontological distinction also  applies to categories other than
modality in natural language and in particular to psych verbs and
dispositional adjectives like 'intelligent'. We present and discuss a
new set of data in relation with these two categories and ultimately
argue that the abilitative 'pouvoir' cannot be treated in a
traditional kratzerian framework but is  arguably to be classified
along verbs expressing a natural tendency of  their experiencer/
perceiver towards action.