Généricité 18-03: Mari/Martin: Generi c (in)definites and types of judgments

Alda MARI mari.alda at WANADOO.FR
Fri Mar 13 13:23:09 UTC 2009

Chers tous,

nous avons le plaisir de vous inviter à l'exposé de

Alda Mari et Fabienne Martin
IJN / Université de Stuttgart

'Generic (in)defintes and types of judgments'

Qui aura lieu le

Mercredi 18 Mars
à 16h00
ENS
29, rue d'Ulm
75005 Paris
Salle de reunions du DEC, Rdc

We propose an analysis of the French plural indefinite/definite (des/les)
distinction in generic sentences. We argue that in existential and generic
readings, (i) des is attached to a Maximality and a Novelty constraint,
whereas (ii) les is attached to a Maximality and Non-Novelty constraints.
This allows us not only to capture the rule of use of des vs. un, but also
to explain why the indefinite is preferred for expressing analytic
judgements, whereas the definite can express both analytic and synthetic
judgements. Finally, we also account for their different tolerance to
exceptions on a semantic basis.

ANR Genius: Généricité: Interprétation et Usages