S éminaire Nominalisations à Paris 8 le 29 novembre

elenasoleil soarelena at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 22 19:59:35 UTC 2010

Le groupe de recherche "Structure Aspectuelle et Structure Argumentale
a le plaisir de vous inviter
le lundi 29.11 de 14h à 17h30
au Centre Pouchet, salle 129 (cf. détails à la fin de ce message)

à un séminaire sur les nominalisations dans le cadre d'un projet Egide France-Norvège

Intervenants :

Peter Svenonius

Things, Places, and the Construct State

Abstract. There is a well-trodden historical path by which nouns like "front" and "back" come to be adpositions. In the course of this category- changing journey they lose a certain kind of conceptual content, prosodic independence, and nominal syntax and gain the ability to take arguments and express locations and paths (cf. Longobardi on casa— >chez). The construct state possessive construction of Semitic languages has two of these properties : the loss of prosodic independence and the ability to take arguments. I discuss the role of the construct state in the development of nouns into prepositions.

Monika Basic

Scales, gradable adjectives and nominalizations in Serbian

Abstract. An influential analysis of gradable adjectives by Kennedy (1999, 2007), Kennedy & McNally (2005) treats positive forms of gradable adjectives as syntactically complex. Ramchand (2006) assumes the same for a subset of gradable adjectives, namely those with relative standards of comparison, but argues that gradable adjectives with absolute standards are semantically and syntactically different. In this talk, I will confront these predictions (and others made by these approaches) with empirical facts from Serbian. Serbian provides a nice testing ground because, unlike in English, the positive forms of gradable adjectives are often morphologically complex. I will argue that the distinction between relative and absolute adjectives is morphologically coded in Serbian. We will then turn to some interesting facts regarding the form and interpretation of nominals derived from gradable adjectives. As we will see, investigating nominalization patterns might prove extremely significant in determining the true nature of adjectives, given that some adjectival suffixes are kept and some are lost when adjectives are nominalized.

Plan d'accès au Centre Pouchet: http://www.umr7023.cnrs.fr/Plans-d-acces,672.html en bas de la page.