conf érence de Linnaea Stockall à Paris 8

elenasoleil soarelena at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 22 19:55:46 UTC 2010

L'équipe Architecture Grammaticale de l'UMR 7023 Structures Formelles
du Langage du CNRS
et les groupes de recherche "Structure Argumentale et Structure
Aspectuelle" et "Langues sans articles - langues avec articles" de la
Fédération TUL
ont le plaisir de vous inviter
le lundi 29.11 de 10h à 12h
au Centre Pouchet, salle 129

à une conférence de Linnaea Stockall, Queen Mary, University of
London
intitulée:
Building Event Interpretations: is watching goals harder than scoring
them?

Vous trouverez un résumé sur le site web du projet Structure
Argumentale et Structure Aspectuelle:
http://www.umr7023.cnrs.fr/Calendrier-des-reunions,862.html

Plan d'accès au Centre Pouchet:
http://www.umr7023.cnrs.fr/Plans-d-acces,672.html
<http://www.umr7023.cnrs.fr/Plans-d-acces,672.html>  en bas de la page.

Pour information, ce séminaire sera suivi dans l'après-midi par un
Séminaire Nominalisations du projet Egide Aurora
Intervenants :

Peter Svenonius

Things, Places, and the Construct State

Abstract. There is a well-trodden historical path by which nouns like
"front" and "back" come to be adpositions. In the course of this
category- changing journey they lose a certain kind of conceptual
content, prosodic independence, and nominal syntax and gain the ability
to take arguments and express locations and paths (cf. Longobardi on
casa—  >chez). The construct state possessive construction of
Semitic languages has two of these properties : the loss of prosodic
independence and the ability to take arguments. I discuss the role of
the construct state in the development of nouns into prepositions.

Monika Basic

Scales, gradable adjectives and nominalizations in Serbian

Abstract. An influential analysis of gradable adjectives by Kennedy
(1999, 2007),  Kennedy & McNally (2005) treats positive forms of
gradable adjectives as  syntactically complex. Ramchand (2006) assumes
the same for a subset of  gradable adjectives, namely those with
relative standards of comparison,  but argues that gradable adjectives
with absolute standards are  semantically and syntactically different.
In this talk, I will confront  these predictions (and others made by
these approaches) with empirical  facts from Serbian. Serbian provides a
nice testing ground because,  unlike in English, the positive forms of
gradable adjectives are often  morphologically complex. I will argue
that the distinction between  relative and absolute adjectives is
morphologically coded in Serbian. We  will then turn to some interesting
facts regarding the form and  interpretation of nominals derived from
gradable adjectives. As we will  see, investigating nominalization
patterns might prove extremely  significant in determining the true
nature of adjectives, given that  some adjectival suffixes are kept and
some are lost when adjectives are  nominalized.