Conf érence de Ali Idrissi, 6 décembre 2010

Mohamed.Lahrouchi at UNIV-PARIS8.FR Mohamed.Lahrouchi at UNIV-PARIS8.FR
Wed Nov 24 23:11:16 UTC 2010

L'UMR 7023 et l'UMR 7110 ont le plaisir de vous convier

le lundi 6 décembre 2010
14h30-16h30

CNRS, 59 rue Pouchet, 75017 Paris (métros : Guy Moquet ou Brochant, ligne
13), salle de conférences (rez-de-chaussée)

à une conférence de Ali Idrissi (United Arab Emirates University & UQAM)

intitulée

Selective tense and agreement impairment in Arabic

Abstract

Case studies in Hebrew and Arabic showed that tense inflection was harder
than agreement inflection for agrammatic patients in oral production
(Friedmann & Grodzinsky 1997; Friedmann 2001; Tissen et al. 2007). Recent
studies revealed that this dissociation was found in both oral production
and grammaticality judgment in various languages, including German
(Wenzlaff & Clahsen 2004), Greek (Varlokosta et al. 2006), Moroccan Arabic
(Diouny 2007), Dutch (Kok et al. 2007), and English (Clahsen & Ali 2009).
We report results from an Arabic-speaking fluent aphasic whose performance
on sentence completion (oral production) and grammaticality judgment tasks
displays impairment with verbal inflections. We found that the patient was
significantly more impaired in tense/aspect than agreement in production,
with the opposite pattern in grammaticality judgment. This double
dissociation supports our proposal that tense and agreement can be
independently impaired, not only across agrammatic patients (Burchert et
al. 2005), but also across tasks/modalities within a single patient. Our
results pose a serious challenge to Friedmann & Grodzinsky’s (1997) and
Lee’s (2003) purely representational/structural ‘Tree-Pruning’ accounts of
Tense/Agreement dissociation in agrammatism, and to both Wenzlaff &
Clahsen’s (2004) and Burchert et al.’s (2005) Underspecification accounts.