Software or computer "package" for corpus analysis ? Psychotherapy research.

dalverosedalverose dalverosedalverose at YAHOO.FR
Wed Nov 30 18:04:57 UTC 2011

Hi Dear all,

I am a psychiatrist, currently student in cognitive neurosciences.

Whithin a research network in psychotherapy, I am working with a
psychotherapist which has got a PhD in linguistics.

We have already analyzed extensive notes of therapy sessions. Basically,
we have applied a classification according to criterion of belonging to
"registers":
- whether an utterance belonged to the register of external reality 'ER'
- or whether it belonged to register of introspection 'I'
- or whether it belonged to register of fantasy 'F'
- etc...

Then, we got a structure of the whole session with very interesting (for
clinical interpretation) pattern of register sequences.
The patterns looked like :
ER => I => F, etc ...

As you can imagine, this kind of corpus analysis takes a lot of time.
That's why I am asking you if you have ever used or heard about a
software able to process that kind of corpus analysis.
Otherwise, if you know, some computer "packages" that already exist, I
am interested too (I have learned some computer programming skills in
Python and Matlab but if necessary, I can learn another computer
language !!).

Moreover, if you know a linguist that uses such computer tools, I would
be very thankful to have his name in order to contact him.

Thank you very much for help.

Best regards,

Diogo Alves