Conf=?utf-8?Q?=C3=A9rence_?=Ora Matushansky Saint-Denis 9 janvier

Jean-louis Aroui jean-louis.aroui at UNIV-PARIS8.FR
Thu Jan 5 11:59:52 UTC 2012

L'UMR 7023 a le plaisir de vous convier, dans le cadre des séances de son séminaire (http://www.umr7023.cnrs.fr/-Seminaire-de-l-UMR-7023,50-.html),

le lundi 9 janvier 2012
10h00-12h00,
Université Paris VIII, 2, rue de la liberté, 93200 Saint-Denis (métro Saint-Denis Université, ligne 13), bâtiment D, salle D 143

à une conférence de Ora Matushansky (Utrecht University, CNRS)

intitulée

« On the linguistic correlates of use vs. mention: the case of close apposition »

Résumé :

An examination of case-marking in close apposition in Russian shows that only in some cases of close apposition can the second NP appear in the same case as the first one, as opposed to the default nominative case:

(1)	a.	My govorili o     russkom         poète        *Cvetaeva/✓Cvetaevoj.
		we spoke    about Russian-msg-loc poet-msg-loc  Tsvetaeva.fsg-nom-loc
		We spoke about the Russian poet Tsvetaeva.

	b.	My govorili o     velikoj       strane         *Francija/✓Francii.
		we spoke    about great-FSG-LOC country.FSG-LOC France.FSG-NOM/LOC
		We spoke about the great country France.

	c.	o     ximičeskom   èlemente        *sera/✓sere
		about chemical-LOC element.MSG-LOC sulfur.FSG-NOM/LOC

		about the chemical element sulfur

(2)	a.	s    imenem     Ruslan/*Ruslanom

		with name-INSTR Ruslan-NOM/INSTR

		with the name Ruslan

	b.	My govorili o     russkom         slove        “teplo”/*“teplom”.

		we spoke    about Russian-NSG-LOC word-NSG-LOC “heat”.NSG-NOM/*LOC

		We spoke about the Russian word "heat".

The simplest analysis, juxtaposing use and mention, turns out to be incorrect, given that with
 toponyms both options may be possible, or the default nominative may be the only option:

(3)	a.	v  gorode       Moskva/Moskve

		in city.MSG-LOC Moscow.FSG-NOM/LOC

		in the city of Moscow

	b.	v  gorode       Frankfurte na Majne/Frankfurt na Majne

		in town.MSG-LOC Frankfurt  am Main.MSG-NOM/LOC

		in the city of Frankfurt am Main

	c.	do    stancii         Bologoe/*Bologogo

		until station.FSG-GEN Bologoe.NSG-NOM/GEN

		until the station Bologoe

The emerging generalization is that the lack of case agreement indicates not mention, but a
 secondary use of language: when, as with names of railway stations, restaurants, ships, books,
 etc., the name has a primary use as the name of something or someone else, case agreement
 becomes impossible. I will discuss the impact of this discovery for the proper treatment of
 proper names, numbers and kind names.