06/03 – Séminaire doctoral "Information Structuring" =?windows-1252?Q?_=96_?=Victor PAN (Mandarin Chinese)

M.M.Jocelyne Fernandez-Vest m.m.jocelyne.fernandez-vest at VJF.CNRS.FR
Fri Feb 28 14:01:39 UTC 2014

*Université Sorbonne Nouvelle-Paris 3 — Ecole Doctorale 268 – Séminaire
de Doctorat 2013-2014**
M. M. Jocelyne FERNANDEZ-VEST. C.N.R.S.-LACITO
**m.m.jocelyne.fernandez-vest at vjf.cnrs.fr*

_/**/_*_/Information Structuring of Spoken Discourse : Question-Answer
Pairs and Genre*/_*

*Séance du jeudi 6 mars (11h – 13h)**
**au Centre Bièvre, 1, rue Censier, Paris 5e, 3e étage Salle E**
*

*Victor PAN*
LLF-UMR 7110, CNRS & Université Paris Diderot-Paris 7

**

*When /Wh/**-questions Interact With Information Structure:
Mapping from Discourse to Syntax***

*Abstract*

         In this talk I debate an issue concerning the so-called
/wh/-ex-situ phenomenon in Mandarin Chinese.
         Two existing analyses will be introduced: the topicalization
analysis (Tang 1988, Wu 1999) and the focalization analysis
         (Cheung 2008).
         In fact, the constructions discussed in the previous works
reveal only a partial picture of a more general phenomenon.
         Concretely, I will show that there are four different types of
/wh/-ex-situ in Mandarin: Type I: extracted /wh/-topic, Type II:
         extracted /wh/-focus, Type III: base-generated /wh/-topic and
Type IV: base-generated /wh/-focus. Tang (1988) and Wu (1999)
         treat only Type I; Cheung (2008) reduces Type I to Type II and
denies the existence of Type III. Type IV has not been
         iscussed in the previous studies.
         All of these four types of structure exist in Mandarin and they
behave differently both in syntax and in semantics.
         For instance, Type I and Type II obey locality constraints and
"episodic eventuality constraints" while Type II and Type IV
         do not;  Type I and Type III demonstrate the crucial properties
of topics, such as D-linking effects. However, all of the above
         four types  obey general semantic constraint on interrogatives.
My claim is that these four types should not be analyzed
         in a unified way. Based on the recent work of the Split-CP
architecture in Chinese, I will show that the ex-situ /wh/-phrase
         occupies the different positions in Types I & III (TopP) on the
one hand, and in Types II & IV (FocusP) on the other hand.
         TopP is higher than FocusP when they co-occur.

*       Key words *: /wh/-ex-situ, left periphery, topicalization,
focalization, Mandarin

*Programme des séances et liste d'ouvrages recommandés
http://www.univ-paris3.fr/information-structuring-of-spoken-discourse-question-answer-pairs-and-genre--236106.kjsp

M.M.Jocelyne Fernandez-Vest
CNRS & Université Sorbonne Nouvelle