[parislinguists] Séminaires du Laboratoire Parole et Langage (LPL) | mars 2015

'Claudia Pichon-Starke' claudia.starke@lpl-aix.fr [parislinguists] parislinguists-noreply at yahoogroupes.fr
Tue Mar 3 16:09:35 UTC 2015

Bonjour,

 Pour information, veuillez trouver ci-dessous les prochains séminaires du Laboratoire Parole et Langage (LPL).

 Bien cordialement, Claudia Pichon-Starke
_________________

Laboratoire Parole et Langage

UMR 7309 CNRS |Aix-Marseille Université

5 avenue Pasteur – 13100 Aix-en-Provence (France)

Tél : +33 (0)4 13 55 36 20 – Fax : +33 (0)4 13 55 37 88

Site du LPL : www.lpl-aix.fr

LPL Newsletter :  <mailto:lpl-newsletter-subscribe at lpl-aix.fr?subject=Inscription%20NewsLetter> lpl-newsletter-subscribe at lpl-aix.fr

Labex ‘BLRI’ :  <http://www.blri.fr> www.blri.fr  | Equipex ‘Ortolang’ :  <http://www.blri.fr> www.ortolang.fr

Revue TIPA : www.tipa.revues.org

*****

Vendredi 6 mars 2015

11h-12h   LPL, salle de conférences B011, 5 avenue Pasteur, Aix-en-Provence

Elin Runnqvist

Laboratoire de Psychologie Cognitive (CNRS, AMU)

Speech production
monitoring and traces of unintended representations

Résumé  Speech production is a highly complex yet fast and efficient cognitive skill. Nevertheless, though not usually of a magnitude that is disruptive for communicative purposes, we do commit a considerable amount of errors or anomalies in spontaneous speech. In this talk, I will address two questions arising from these observations, namely: (1) “how do speakers avoid errors? “ and (2) “can errors or anomalies such as traces of unintended representations reveal the inner workings of speech production?”. First, I will examine the case of bilingual speech production. Specifically, I will consider how bilinguals are able to avoid intrusions from the unintended language, and how traces of the unintended language might be informative about interactivity in bilingual and monolingual speech production. Second, I will introduce a research project considering the hypothesis that monitoring of speech and of other cognitive skills might share processes.

Plus d’infos sous  <http://lpl-aix.fr/event/1593> http://lpl-aix.fr/event/1593

*****

Vendredi 27 mars 2015

14h-15h   LPL, salle de cours A003, 5 avenue Pasteur, Aix-en-Provence

Benjamin Swets

Grand Valley State University, Allendale, MI, USA

The Role of Working Memory in Sentence Packaging

Résumé  Traditional psycholinguistic theories of language production have held that speakers plan linguistic material in an inflexibly incremental manner. On this view, all speakers will plan the same small amount of information (ranging from, e.g., a clause or a phonological word) prior to articulation, regardless of the contextual circumstances or individual who is speaking. A relatively new domain of research that challenges this strictly incremental view is to examine individual variation of planning scope among different speakers. I will present research along these lines. In this research, speakers described picture arrays to partners in a matching game. The arrays sometimes required speakers to note a contrast between a sentence-initial object (e.g., a four-legged cat) and a sentence-final object (e.g., a three-legged cat). We measured speakers’ working memory prior to the session, then we recorded their eye movements during speech. The eye-movement measures revealed that speakers with higher working memory capacity were more likely to gather a larger amount of visual information prior to speech. They did so by being more likely to look ahead and fixate the object to be described sentence-finally. These speakers were also more likely to reference the contrast early in speech (e.g., by telling their partners to move “the cat with three legs” rather than simply “the cat”), reflecting an increased capacity both to gather and to encode material linguistically prior to speech. Such analyses of individual differences from language production, as well as language comprehension, can help to develop theories about the nature of the cognitive system that processes speech. For example, they afford theoretical developments regarding the mechanistic role that working memory plays in speech planning, as well as the role that working memory might play in language processing more generally. I will argue that working memory allows for the efficient packaging of linguistic material for the purposes of planning and comprehending language.

Bio  After earning his Ph.D. in Cognitive Psychology from Michigan State University, Benjamin Swets served as a post-doctoral researcher at Stony Brook University in Long Island, New York. Currently on sabbatical, he is now an Associate Professor in the Psychology Department at Grand Valley State University in Allendale, MI. His research interests lie in the cognitive mechanisms (especially memory) that underlie every day activities such as speaking, working in hectic environments, reading stories, and taking exams.

Plus d’infos sous  <http://lpl-aix.fr/event/1592> http://lpl-aix.fr/event/1592

*****

Trouvez toutes les actualités du LPL sur   <http://www.lpl-aix.fr> www.lpl-aix.fr