UNESCO Handbook on Language Preservation and Documentation

Nicholas Thieberger thien at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Aug 11 23:16:53 UTC 2004

http://www.noticias.info/Asp/aspComunicados.asp?nid=30621&src=0

UNESCO to Publish Handbook on Language Preservation and Documentation

Aimée Lahaussois, a Linguistic Expert in Nepalese
languages, along with several leading
international experts in linguistic and language
revitalization, have been developing a Language
Preservation Handbook. This project is one of the
activities carried out by UNESCO's Initiative
B at bel which seeks to promote multilingualism in
cyberspace and preserve endangered languages.

Recently, Aimée was in Nepal carrying out
independent research on endangered languages. She
seized the opportunity to use the handbook and
field test its effectiveness.

The handbook, entitled "Language Preservation and
Documentation Handbook: South Asia version",
provides a methodology for native speakers of
endangered languages to record their languages
for posterity. The project was inspired by
requests from several members of ethnic
minorities in Nepal who were interested in self
documenting their languages. For many ethnic
groups, assimilation and other processes have
lead to the decline of indigenous culture as well
as their languages and knowledge systems. UNESCO
would like to see this rich human heritage
preserved.

The handbook guides the reader through the
process of collecting linguistic data on one's
endangered language in the absence of a linguist,
as well as stories which are an important part of
the heritage of the community. The document
begins with a questionnaire covering background
information on the language community, followed
by advice on creating a writing system, and lists
of key words. It then guidelines them in
recording and transcribing stories, and concludes
with material on various aspects of the grammar
of the language, through questionnaires and
translation exercises. Oral recordings of the
languages are also an important part of this
exercise.

Here are some of the impressions of Aimée
Lahaussois' first experience with the handbook:
"Working with a young speaker of an endangered
language reinforced for me what documentation is
all about, and why it is important to provide
tools so native speakers can carry out their own
documentation: after three weeks of excellent
work with a very talented and enthusiastic
speaker, I tried to pay him as compensation for
the time and energy he put into our sessions,
thinking this would be welcome, as life is
particularly difficult for students in a
developing country. I was moved when he refused
the money, citing that it was I who deserved
compensation as I was doing his community the
enormous favour of making sure their language was
recorded and preserved. Clearly there is a great
need for efforts such as this."

It is hoped that the results will not only
provide a record of the language, as spoken by
native speakers, but will also stimulate renewed
community-wide interest in the language, which
may in turn reduce the rate at which languages
are being lost.

Indeed, a great many minority languages are
disappearing around the world and those which
disappear without a trace represent a great loss
of cultural heritage. One critical reason is that
they are not being passed on to the younger
generations. Some of the causes include pressure
on children to use national languages,
unavailability of education in the language
spoken at home, migration away from the homeland
amongst others. Often, only older speakers are
left and when they disappear, so do these
languages. In the case of languages with no
written form which have not been documented, no
trace remains of what was once a vibrant and
unique language and culture.

A CD-ROM and print version of this handbook will
be published by the end of September.

11/08/2004