Audio questions

Andrea Berez andrea at LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Fri Jan 28 15:02:10 UTC 2005

Dear List,

I am a new member of the RNLD list, and I need some advice on handling
audio for a project involving Dena'ina Athabascan.

We are working on a large-scale project to create an enduring digital
archive of Dena'ina resources, and part of the project involves making
products for community use. We have hundreds of digitized recordings of
traditional stories, and we want to create a facility for combining XML
transcriptions of those stories (from ELAN) with the audio to produce a
simple HTML display where users can hear and read along in a line-by-line
fashion. These are to be free-standing CD-ROMs, not dependent upon an
online connection.

My question is this: how can we use the timecodes produced by ELAN to
segment the audio into individual lines? We don't want to have to cut each
file by hand for several reasons: first, some of the stories are
extrememly long; second, we are already subdividing the audio within ELAN
and it makes no sense to do it twice; third, we want to make this as easy
as possible so that interested community members will want to do it (as
opposed to linguistics grad students like myself).

I have no preference for either playing the audio segments from an intact
original file or by chopping the audio into individual files; it's just
that we don't know where to start.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrea Berez