Easy-access language software development

Daryn McKenny daryn at ABORIGINALHUNTER.COM
Thu May 5 01:50:22 UTC 2005

Hi Andrea,

I am from an Aboriginal Organisation in Newcastle NSW and we have
designed our own Language tools, they are still in development, but we
have been using them with our language work for over 12 months now.

The best way that I could let you know about what we do is send you some
information.  It is a 1.7mb pdf file, so I am not sure whether the List
is okay with that.  If someone could let me know I will attach it so
everyone can have access to it.

I am sure that the path that we have taken will go close to answering a
lot of your points.

Regards

Daryn McKenny

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrea Berez [mailto:andrea at linguistlist.org]
Sent: Thursday, 5 May 2005 3:07 AM
To: Resource-Network-Linguistic-Diversity at unimelb.edu.au
Subject: Easy-access language software development

Dear List,

As a graduate researcher working at LINGUIST List and on the E-MELD
(Electronic Metastructure for Endangered Language Data) project, I am
looking for
resources on easy-access software. By "easy-access" I mean language
products for communities that are developed in simple, sustainable,
open-access formats, with an eye toward:

-ease of modification for training speakers to make new software (to
avoid
having to hire a professional programmer)

-either the use of previously-available archival materials, or the
development of new archival materials concurrently

-NOT requiring special hardware, software, or high-speed internet
connection to use the materials.

Thanks in advance for your input. I'd like to use the information on the

E-MELD School of Best Practices website.

Sincerely,

Andrea Berez

Andrea Berez
LINGUIST List Editor