Non-roman and Transcriber

Matthew Toulmin matthew.toulmin at ANU.EDU.AU
Thu Sep 29 08:43:43 UTC 2005

Dear list,

Thanks to Rachel Cross, I stand corrected. Non-roman characters can be inputed in Transcriber by attributing shortcuts to certain keystrokes.

Instructions are at: http://trans.sourceforge.net/en/usermanUS.php#r53
See especially  6.7. Accented characters and internationalization
and  13.1. Define a shortcut

This has solved my problem, I am now able to enter both Phonetic and Bengali characters using this method. (Remember to change the font)

Admittedly this solution is not ideal, as I have to recreate my Keyboard layout with keystrokes, and the shortcut coding is not as flexible as Keyman because Keyman allows dummy keys.

Doug Marmion suggested I also test ELAN. I downloaded it and found that it DOES accept my Keyman keyboard, so I could be using that with my normal method of character entry. For now I'll stick with Transcriber until my understanding of ELAN catches up.

Thanks to all respondents.

Matthew