Question on opening an audio file in transcriber

William J Poser wjposer at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Wed Aug 2 23:05:41 UTC 2006

Very likely the file is in a format that Transcriber cannot read.
Do you know what the format is? What extension does it have?
A guess is that it is in a proprietary Microsoft format.
In that case, the solution is resave it in a standard format
if you still have the original, or to convert it to a standard
format using another program.

Incidentally, all of the proprietary formats that I know about
use lossy compression, meaning that for linguistic purposes they
are inferior. I recommend always saving digital recordings as
uncompressed PCM data, and if you need to save space, using a
lossless compression technique such as FLAC.

Bill