Recording equipment

Nicholas Thieberger thien at UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Tue Aug 15 05:54:17 UTC 2006

I think there are lots of good digital recorders
on the market now and two that are reasonably
cheap are the M-Audio
Microtrack (I paid US $300) and the newish Edirol
R9
(http://store.robotspeakstore.com/edr9poaure.html
$399). The issue with them is having a computer
to which you can copy data after the card is full.

I don't know about minidisks and am cautious of
them as it is not always easy to retrieve the
data without redigitising. If you use HiMD you
may be able to record wav files rather than ATRAC
format (which is not archival). But there are
problems with that too (read Gerd Klaas's article
in the LAN,
http://www.mpi.nl/LAN/issues/lan_05.pdf).

I think DAT is now superceded (we couldn't get a new playback machine anymore).

Some sites with info are listed below:
     Recording Digital Sound, UKOLN / AHDS Quality Assurance Document
     http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/qa-focus/documents/briefings/briefing-23/html/

     Sound Recording, Microphones, Hans Rausing Endangered Languages Project
     http://www.hrelp.org/archive/advice/microphones.html

     How to Digitize Analog Audio Recordings, E-Meld
     http://cf.linguistlist.org/cfdocs/emeld/school/classroom/audio/howto.html

     Audio/Video Capture and Management, NINCH Guide to Good Practice
     http://www.nyu.edu/its/humanities/ninchguide/VII/

     General info on audio: http://www.paradisec.org.au/audlinks.html

     Lots of good advice: http://bartus.org/akustyk/rec.html

Nick