NC Headphones

Claire Bowern anggarrgoon at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 24 16:05:50 UTC 2006

Hi Bruce,
I have many pairs of headphones :)
I recently bought a pair of Shure E2c "Isolating" earphones
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CE1UO/sr=8-1/qid=1153679706/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-7443667-0514500?ie=UTF8)

mostly for use while flying. The sound quality is fantastic and the
noise blocking is also very good (e.g. I can imagine transcribing good
tapes on a plane, which would never have been possible with other
earphones). I don't think I'd use them in the field, though, because I
don't think I'd want to wear in-ear earphones in really humid conditions
for long periods. I find them comfortable to wear for fairly long
periods when it's cool, but such earphones seem to be highly dependent
on the shape of the person's ear. There are more expensive ones with
more earplug options. They are extremely sensitive - I have my computer
set on the lowest possible volume setting and some tracks are still too
loud for me to listen to. So that aspect might be more useful to you
than the noise-reduction aspect.

My main transcribing headphones are a pair of Sennheiser HD (can't
remember the exact number but they were about $100 two years ago). They
are semi-open over-ear. They are light and very comfortable and I use
them a lot. They do let in noise from surroundings, and let out noise
too - that is, other people in the room might be able to hear the recording.

I have a couple of other pairs too - a pair of holding overear
Sennheisers which were cheaper, which I take to the field, and some Sony
bud earphones (backups) which are pretty ordinary.

All the best,
Claire