Non-roman and Transcriber

Heidi Johnson hjohnson at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Wed Mar 29 15:10:53 UTC 2006

This is bad news about Transcriber. It doesn't sound like something we
should be

promoting through our OLAC tutorials, if it doesn't support any Unicode
fonts.

Has anybody tried Transana, from the University of Wisconsin? It's also
free, open

source, etc. They discuss Unicode issues on this page:

http://www.transana.org/developers/international.htm

In summary, it's supposed to work with UTF-8 encoding, but they note areas
in

which theory and practice fail to mesh.

Heidi

-----------------
Heidi Johnson, PhD
Project Manager
The Archive of the Indigenous Languages of Latin America
1 University Station C3200
The University of Texas at Austin
Austin, Texas 78712

(512) 495-4604