toponymy recording

Gary Holton gary.holton at UAF.EDU
Sat Dec 1 15:34:44 UTC 2007

Related to the first question below, does anyone have recommendations
for GPS receivers for use in this kind of work (toponymy)? More
specifically, are consumer level handheld GPS units sufficiently
accurate, or does one need to use professional units (such as
Trimble's Geoexplorer)? The latter run upwards of US$3000, which is
still rather pricey even given the falling  dollar.

Gary

Gary Holton
Associate Professor of Linguistics
Alaska Native Language Center